Archived Stock - This item is no longer available
An English glazed oak bookcase
the moulded cornice over three long doors, each with three glazing bars, hung on bidirectional hinges, three deeper compartments to the base,
The bookcase reformatted from a peninsular bookcase to a wall-mounted single-sided bookcase.
The library - the world's foremost collection of nautical volumns was founded around the library of the Scottish shipping magnate c.1937. His philanthropy also extended to sponsoring Antarctic expeditions including Shackleton's ill-fated "Discovery" expedition of 1913-14. One of the three life-boats in which the men made their famous and unlikely escape from their stricken ship was dubbed The James Caird after the principle sponsor.
LASSCO extracted a number of these bookcases from the East Wing of the Museum after the library had been re-housed in the new Sammy Ofer wing. The East Wing is being given over to further public galleries.