each peninsular bookcase with a moulded cornice above five long and five short glazed doors to each long side, the latter being the deeper folio range, the nicely figured show-timber to one short end with a raised panel serves to terminate the bookcase with back-to-back buttresses, the other short side - to the wall - is blind, all raised on a plinth base,
At time of posting we have two cabinets remaining, presented as complete peninsula cabinets which due to their construction will not lend themselves to re-construction as a wall-mounted bookcase so easily (although with a bit of joinery it is absolutely feasible).
The library - the world's foremost collection of nautical volumns was founded around the library of the Scottish shipping magnate c.1937. His philanthropy also extended to sponsoring Antarctic expeditions including Shackleton's ill-fated "Discovery" expedition of 1913-14. One of the three life-boats in which the men made their famous and unlikely escape from their stricken ship was dubbed The James Caird after the principle sponsor.
LASSCO extracted these bookcases from the East Wing of the Museum after the library had been re-housed in the new Sammy Ofer wing. We had to move fast in order to clear the space ready for the Equestrian media centre's occupation of the space during the London olympics. The East Wing is being given over to further public galleries.