Archived Stock - This item is no longer available
Victorian cast iron hallstand,
with marble shelf above frieze drawer, the arched and pierced backplate with eight hooks and oval mirror topped by female mask and ‘WELCOME’ banner, with diamond registration mark of 6th November 1868.
James Yates was a model maker for the Walker foundry before taking on the business in 1823 and continued to cast at the Phoenix Works. In 1855 he erected the Effingham Works with George Haywood and John Drabble when the previous site became inadequate. This is where the companies most famous work was produced and from where they were to compete with other leading foundries such as Coalbrookdale in Shropshire, and Carron in Falkirk.
The company received praise for their work shown at the Great Exhibition of 1851. In their catalogue of 1861 a very similar hallstand to this one is shown which typifies the eclectic ornamental excess of high Victorian design. This design was also shown at the International Exhibition in London of 1862 and was featured in J.B. Waring’s publication Masterpieces of Industrial Art and Sculpture at the International Exhibition which recorded the outstanding exhibits of the show.