Archived Stock - This item is no longer available
A notable Victorian carved Portland stone triangular pediment, carved as the City of London armorial,
the triangular pediment carved in full relief with a pair of griffins flanking an armorial shield cut with the City of London arms,
The pediment crowned an enormous stone doorcase that comprised the Queen Victoria Street main entrance to "Mansion House Buildings" (otherwise known as "No1. Poultry" or "The Mappin & Webb Building"). This Venetian Gothic building on a prime site facing The Mansion House, The Royal Exchange and The Bank of England was built in 1870 by J&J Belcher.
Its loss is much lamented - a bitter feud was waged by The Victorian Society and SAVE Britain's heritage to save if from demolition-wrecking ball ... Read the full story here.