Archived Stock - This item is no longer available
One of a series of English oak library bookcases,
with a moulded cornice above show-timber ends with three raised panels to each, each long side and a single bay of adjustable shelves with panelled pine backing, each shelf with a moulded edge and raised on four brass tonks, the whole raised on a plinth base,
The late 17th Century Upper Library at The Queen's College, Oxford University, is one of the finest rooms in Oxford. It houses the largest and most diverse collections of rare books in any of the University Colleges. We are delighted to have acquired a quantity of oak bookcases that, for the past 160years have had a supporting role there.
This series of bookcases were inserted into the 17th Century library as interval cases in order to house a massive influx of books in the mid 19th Century. Queen's had received a very large bequest in the 1841 from Robert Mason, an Old Member, who stipulated in his will that £30,000 should be spent on the library, and the library only, and be spent within three years. Having shoe-horned the books into the Upper library the Fellows then commissioned C.R.Cockerell (architect of The Ashmolean and Taylor's Institute) to adapt the arcaded undercroft of the 17th century building - glazing the arcades - in order to double the available space.
The above photograph of The Upper Library must date to between 1850, by which time the smaller, interval bookcases were in place, and the mid 1880's when they would have been removed to the newly completed Lower Library. We have discovered a graffito on one of the bookcase carcasses: "altered by Smyint(?) Co. Clarendon St. Oxford Sep 1884" which ties-in with the Upper library at that time being restored to its original density of shelving.
By the end of 20th Century, shunted aside for a different shelving scheme, the peripatetic bookcases were part of an increasingly congested Lower Library.
Having restored the Upper and Lower libraries in 2013/14, the College finally went underground with a new library extension this year (2017) extending beneath the Provost's garden. With miles of new shelving, they have opted, finally, to dispose of the 1840's interval bookcases. LASSCO were very happy to acquire them.
The four that ended up in the Law Library had to be deconstructed in order to extract them; they are flat packed and we will move towards converting them to single-sided wall-mounted bookcases if required by a customer. The rest came out of the Lower Library complete.