Archived Stock - This item is no longer available
An English plaster cast of a section of coved frieze
the central Grecian head corbel flanked by divergent cornucopias,
The casting operation at The V&A had been principally overseen by Dominico Brucciani (and Company) from the mid 1860's. The V&A's own workshops took over casting operations for the Cast Courts shortly after the First World War. Presumeably when the V&A cast the entire fireplace and erected it in the Cast Court galleries to display what has generally been credited as "the best chimneypiece from the 19th Century" they did not know that by 1931 they would have the chance to successfully acquire the marble original! The greyhound signifies the arms of Sir Robert Staynor Holford who had built Dorchester House from 1851. Holford had, uncharacteristically, given Stevens a free rein in the Dining Room. The chimneypiece stands at the V&A, much else can be seen in the Walker Gallery, Liverpool.