Click and Collect – Please contact us to arrange collection or delivery of this item
A Victorian Gothic carved limestone tracery window header
the double-sided lancet-arched window pierced with trefoil lights to the tracery and blind trefoils to the spandrels, the header in three sections with a fragment of tracery below,
This fragmentary window-way was surplus during recent works to improve access and reformat the church back to an arrangement more conducive to its original design.
Shropshire does not have an Anglican Cathedral so Shrewsbury’s Catholic Cathedral – more properly known as “The Cathedral Church of Our Lady Help of Christians and St. Peter of Alcantra” holds the county honour alone. The Cathedral was originally to have been designed by A.W.N Pugin but his death in 1852 commuted the job to his eldest son E.W. Pugin (1834-75). The Cathedral was completed in 1856 – the intended spired bell-tower was aborted when the foundations were found to run through a strata of sand. Hardmans provided the stained glass with later windows being added by Margaret Agnes Rope.