Archived Stock - This item is no longer available
A cast iron garden bench
the back pierced with a repeating design of hoops with rococo castings above a pierced seat and cabriole supports,
This is a replica piece . The original drawing for this design was submitted to the Public Records Office on 16th March 1846, registering the design as "Class N. 1. Carron Company, Carron Warehouse, 15 Upper Thames Street, London. Works at Carron, Stirlingshire, Scotland". Carron Co. was founded in 1759 near Falkirk in Scotland. Like Coalbrookdale they became an enormous operation. When Thomas Pennant visited the works in 1769 he described them as "the greatest of the kind in Europe....Above 1200 men are employed. Cannon and all kinds of casting produced". Carron were primarily interested in the mass production of their most commercial lines and had agents in London spotting the latest fashions and sending plaster casts to Falkirk for reproduction. LASSCO St. Michael's has bought and sold a number of Georgian fire grates stamped "Carron" or "Ca.Co" over the years. The Adam brothers themselves were employed by the foundry to supply designs. Whilst hob grates could be mass produced relatively easily, Carron largely shyed away from "art pieces" even in the Victorian era, making this garden seat a rarity in comparison to those of the Coalbrookdale catalogue. (See: Temple Newsam Country House studies No. 2, "The Fashionable Fireplace" pub. Leeds City Art Galleries, 1985 for a good summary of The Carron Foundry).