Archived Stock - This item is no longer available
Two very large eight panel oak doors
19th Century, removed from Hale House, Kensington (dem. 1850's), reputedly previously the home of Oliver Cromwell
each with alternating pairs of long and short raised and fielded panels to each side, with original butt hinges,
One of these doors has a different arrangement of panelling to the reverse meaning they will not match to create a pair very easily. Hale House, Kensington is described as follows: "Also known as "Cromwell House", its site is now covered bythe crossroads where Cromwell Road passes through Queen's Gate. In the later 17th Century it was occupied by the 5th Earl Howard of Efingham and in 1794 it was rented by Edward Burke in the vain hope that the air of the district might be good for his sickly son. There is an unverifiable tradition that Oliver Cromwell once lived here, hence its alternative name which Prince albert chose for Cromwell Road when the house was demolished to make way for Queen's Gate in the 1850's." B.Weinreb and C.Hibbert, "The London Encyclopaedia", Macmillan, London 1983, p361.