Archived Stock - This item is no longer available
The Amen House pine Panelled Room
the room, comprising three panelled walls incorporating a chimney breast with fire surround and two doorways (the fourth wall given to extant but later sash windows), the heavily moulded plaster ceiling in the manner of Inigo Jones, centred by a heavily moulded oval and surrounding spandrels, together with a carved stiff-leaf moulded cornice,
This historically important room offers an intriguing insight into its history. From the construction and ornament we are confident that the room bears hallmarks of re-peated up-dating as the 18th Century progressed.
The ceiling is early and must date to when Amen House was built c.1700, only a stone's throw from St. Paul's Cathedral. The panelling could date to then but later ornament, particularly the carton pierre fruiting swags on the overmantel panel are later - as is the beautiful carved pine fire surround of the mid 18th Century with its rococo ornament. Latest of all is the register grate - which, as with any Georgian House would have been inserted as technology improved.
Condition is a major consideration with this panelled room. Whilst there are stacks of panelling still in the original paint, some have been dis-assembled to their smallest constituent parts. Tragically, the ceiling that was removed in sections and crated has lost a section, presumeably a crate has been mislaid, before LASSCO acquired the room (see photograph).
Amen House was famously occupied by The Oxford University Press in the inter-war years.