A Victorian Gothic carved limestone tracery window,
the three lancet-arched window arcades, double-sided, united with a running moulding and each pierced with successive trefoil lights to the tracery above the dual principle lights below, blind trefoils to the spandrels, scant glass remains (two roundels only),
This grand window-way is the marriage of two sides of the South Entrance porch of the Cathedral – re-modelled during recent works to improve access and reformat the church back to an arrangement more conducive to its original design.
Shropshire does not have an Anglican Cathedral so Shrewsbury’s Catholic Cathedral – more properly known as “The Cathedral Church of Our Lady Help of Christians and St. Peter of Alcantra” holds the county honour alone. The Cathedral was originally to have been designed by A.W.N Pugin but his death in 1852 commuted the job to his eldest son E.W. Pugin (1834-75). The Cathedral was completed in 1856 – the intended spired bell-tower was aborted when the foundations were found to run through a strata of sand. Hardmans provided the stained glass with later windows being added by Margaret Agnes Rope.