Archived Stock - This item is no longer available
A very fine early George III carved pine chimneypiece
the moulded inverted breakfront shelf above the frieze of applied relief carved wrythen balusters linked by bell flower swags, paterae above, the tablet with a trio of bell flower linked and ribbon tied wreaths in the neo-classical manner; the jambs comprising deeply carved bell flower pendants dropping from substantial and highly worked foliate scrolled corbels,
the aperture measures 125.5cm (49.5") high and 145cm (57") wide.Provenance: It is recorded that this fireplace was given by Princess Mary, Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood (1897-1965) to her great friend and family doctor - a certain Dr Cook in the 1950's. Cook's widow has passed on handwritten notes about receiving the fireplace during alterations at the big house and it being stripped of paint and installed in the family house in the village of Harewood within the estate. LASSCO acquired the fire surround from Dr. Cook's grandson. However, research has not been able to verify this lead. The Harewood estate office can not put a finger on any situation when the Princess Royal might have made such a gift. The Soane Museum hold very little in the way of Adam drawings that relate to Harewood. The evidence remains somewhat anecdotal therefore but from the quality and grandeur of this finely carved fire surround it is self evident that it is a contender for having come from an important 18th Century interior. Harewood, near Leeds, was built by John Carr of York and Robert Adam between 1759 and 1771.