A rare English stoneware garden urn on pedestal,
the narrow vase with an everted rim, the twin handles modelled as a pair of Eagles perched on the shoulders of the urn, raised on a socle foot and associated pedestal, the pedestal square in section and with lion masks to each facade, the urn and pedestal bearing respective maker's marks,
The small stamp on the urn is found just beneath one of the Eagle handles – it reads: “Blashfield, Stamford No.315”.
Originally an expert in Mosaic floors and terracotta John Marriot Blashfield (1811-82) started producing garden wares and more sculptural work after The Great Exhibition in 1851. Blashfield had sizable workshops in Millwall but moved them to Stamford in Lincolnshire in 1859 to take advantage of the clay of the area. Re-naming the business “The Stamford Terracotta Company” he continued the run of prestigious projects he had enjoyed in London but ceased production in the early 1870’s as Blashfield’s fortunes were continuously hampered by export problems. The Stamford works were sold in 1874.
Blashfield stoneware is naturally compared to the earlier Coadestone – it has similar properties and colour. It has been ventured that Blashfield may have acquired some of the the Coade moulds when they were distributed in a series of sales – but Blashfield was too young to have directly bought some and there is no evidence that he produced designs that were from Eleanor Coade’s workshops. He was doubtless inspired by Coade. It has also been noted that his terracotta is not as robust as Coade’s – and this is bourne out in cracks that are evident in this vase.