Click and Collect – Please contact us to arrange collection or delivery of this item
A pair of huge Victorian Portland stone and granite door jambs,
each jamb constructed from stacked blocks capped by foliate capitals and supporting a cluster of attached pilasters to the door aperture,
These impressive jambs formed the base of the enormous stone doorcase that comprised the Queen Victoria Street main entrance to "Mansion House Buildings" (otherwise known as "No1. Poultry" or "The Mappin & Webb Building"). This Venetian Gothic building on a prime site facing The Mansion House, The Royal Exchange and The Bank of England was built in 1870 by J&J Belcher.
Its loss is much lamented - a bitter feud was waged by The Victorian Society and SAVE Britain's heritage to save if from demolition-wrecking ball ... Read the full story here.