St Olave’s Grammar school has occupied a number of significant sites in its four hundred odd year history on the south bank of the London River.
Most notable among these is the still extant 1895 building adjacent to Tower Bridge, designed in the Queen Anne Revival style by E.W. Mountford (Old Bailey, Sheffield and Northampton Town Halls). LASSCO has acquired a large stock of pine sarking boards from the attic storey of the old school. Darkened by the close dockland atmosphere of the Victorian Pool of London they work admirably as both character flooring and wall-cladding contributing to a rich and atmospheric tonal range.
We have also managed to reclaim a long run of finely worked library bookshelves, with English oak framing and railed glass doors.
St Olave’s Grammar School, Queen Elizabeth street. Photo by Bedford Lemere and Co.
A classroom within St Olave’s Grammar School, Queen Elizabeth street. Photo by Bedford Lemere and Co.
The physical laboratory at St Olave’s
Interior of the workshop at St Olave’s Grammar School
Looking from the platform across the great hall in St Olave’s Grammar School.
This school, dated 1895, was designed by architect E W Mountford to replace an earlier school on the same site.
The headmaster’s room at St Olave’s Grammar School
The court room at St Olave’s Grammar School.
Also available sarking boards and shelving.