The last time Sir William Chambers’ doorcase was constructed, Sir William himself would have overseen it. That was 1769 just as the terrace he’d designed on Berners Street was taking shape. His own house, for which this doorcase was carved, was in the middle of the terrace.
Here at LASSCO Three Pigeons, 242years later, Jarek and Lukasz have found a way to rebuild it and it looks incredibly handsome.
It bears the remains of 200years of paint and the bomb damage that lead to the demolition of the terrace in 1941.
If the current thinking that the keystone is Coade Stone is correct, it will prove to be a very early example. Eleanor Coade’s Lambeth works was in its infancy in 1769.