This is the better of two similar cabinets salvaged from the same source by architectural historian Charles Brooking.
Charles comments, "The oak dressers came from one of the sheltered housing cottages for the elderly at Whiteley Village, Weybridge, built for Whiteley’s employees, Whiteley’s Store being situated in Queensway, Bayswater. Most of the building work commenced from around 1915 onwards, finishing around 1919-1920. These beautifully-crafted pieces were built into the kitchen areas of a group of houses at the village, either designed by Ernest George, Sir Aston Webb, or Mervyn McCartney. The dresser handles differ as the two pieces came from separate groups of houses."